Monday, January 26, 2009

The Christopher Killer: a Forensic Mystery by Alane Ferguson

I'm having bad luck on my plane ride back from Denver. Or maybe because I was in the company of such greatness at the ALA Youth Media Awards this morning, I'm too picky? Whatever the reason, I'm not a big fan of this young adult mystery either. I've put in my time watching CSI and all those forensic shows, but this novel kinda bored me. Too much description about what a coroner is supposed to do. And I still find it unbelievable that a coroner would allow his 17-year-old daughter become his official assistant. Too much liability. And, I always thought that the coroner didn't do too much investigation anyway? Am I wrong in that? Elected officials usually don't have much skill. :) Anyway, Cameryn becomes the assistant to her dad and they have to figure out who murdered a young girl from their small Colorado town. Of course, this is a modern version of Trixie Belden, which I loved in grade school. I think that's why the cynic in me didn't like how Cameryn manages to solve the case and the murderer gets caught. Too simple for high school readers, I think.

No comments: