Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Marsbound by Joe Haldeman


This book died on me. Really, it did. I *loved* the first half of it. Carmen is one of those females in books that I just can't get enough of! She's spunky and snarky and rebellious. But, at about halfway through, the book becomes less about her and more about the relationships between the aliens and the humans. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind reading science fiction. The first half of the book is about the amazing Elevator that transports humans from Earth to the Hilton Hotel where you can jump around in zero gravity. The flight to Mars is great, and who wouldn't fall in love with the sexy pilot of the spaceship? ;) I even didn't mind it when Carmen met the Martians. But then all of a sudden Carmen becomes the international spokesperson for the Martians and the book became a intergalactic political game instead of a cool book about a snarky chick.

No comments: