Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Down the Rabbit Hole: an Echo Falls Mystery by Peter Abrahams

I've had two of Abrahams' mysteries on my library shelf and never looked twice at them? Why? Because of the horrible covers. I thought they were for middle school kids and I had mis-read a review in a review journal. So I was pleasantly surprised when I enjoyed this YA read. I thought it read like Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie for younger readers.

Ingrid is a spunky eighth grader who is involved with her town's local production of Alice in Wonderland and a murder. Cracked Up Katie, the local strange woman, dies the same night that Ingrid is inside her house. And leaves her soccer cleats. So Ingrid is on a mission to rescue her shoes and make sure she isn't accused of any wrongdoing. Along the way, she solves the mystery (of course). The plus side of this novel is the occasional snarkiness of Ingrid. She's pretty cool!

No comments: