Friday, April 30, 2010

Wake by Lisa McMann

I think I'm too old for this young adult book. I just didn't like the abrupt sentence structure and simplistic thought process of the characters. To me, it just isn't well written and the characters aren't bright. Janie is seventeen and has been dealing with getting into other people's dreams for years. She hates it, can't control it, and wonders how she will ever survive. Oh, and then the boy Cabel comes along. He's trouble (maybe) and Janie does the typical teenage angst thing by liking him, getting mad at him, and then ignoring him. Come on, girl--that is so 1980's teen lit! So to me, there's no "lyrical" going on--and I won't read the sequel. I think this will be popular with the lower level readers of my high school who don't want to think much as they read.

No comments: