Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New York by Edward Rutherfurd, Read by Mark Bramhall

30 CDs. I think this is the longest audiobook I've ever listened to! I was trying to remember how long the Harry Potters were, but I think this one wins.

And, ohhhh, it was good. I love me a good epic, and Rutherfurd always delivers. This looooong adult novel covers the history of New York from the natives on Manhattan island to the fall of the World Trade Center. Several families are followed along the way, and the intertwining of them all makes the epic fascinating to follow. This kind of book is why readers like me score well on standardized tests--it's amazing how much a reader learns about history, the arts, political science, and just about everything else. The author is one heck of a storyteller. I loved his London, The Princes of Ireland, and Sarum, and I'll continue to read his new ones. I think he's a modern day Michener.

No comments: