Monday, October 25, 2010

Manifest by Artist Arthur

I'm impressed by this author. First off, it's nice to see an African American girl on the cover. She's quarter-Cherokee, so her light skin makes sense. This is the first Kimani Tru book I've read, and I'll have to read more. It's a good paranormal mystery that just happens to have black characters, which isn't something I see much in the books I read. Sure, African American teen fiction is out there, but it's usually by smaller publishers who aren't mainstream.

Krystal starts to have magical powers at the age of 15. She sees and hears ghosts and she doesn't want to have the power. When she meets two other schoolmates who have the same birthmark as she, she is surprised to find out that they have powers, too. The three teens try to figure out what the purpose of their powers is, and end up solving a sex crime in their small town. There is a sequel, Mystify, which comes out in 2011.

No comments: