Monday, October 25, 2010

Rhymes with Witches by Lauren Myracle

I KNOW I read this book years ago, but I didn't blog about it, which means I don't remember it! So I re-read it this week since it's up for PPYA. I love the title, but that's about all I like about the book. I'm glad the author tackled the problem about how teen girls want popularity, but I hated the cats. Really? Feral cats in a school? Seriously? The cat scenes didn't even seem to fit into the rest of the story. The main character dumped her friends so quickly for the Bitches, the group of four girls who are the most popular girls in school. The Bitches really are witches, using the power of the goddess (through their humanities teacher) to suck popularity from other people to increase their own popularity. Interesting concept, but it fell flat. I think girls pick up this book because of the title, and think it's alright. But I didn't like any of the characters, and the conversation is so stilted, it's impossible to get to know them. I've tried really hard to like this author, but haven't been impressed.

No comments: