Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

So the front cover claims this is a #1 New York Times Bestseller, but, whoa, evidently I don't have the same taste as twelve-year-old girls. I like the plotline, but I'm just not thrilled with how she told it. Narration was choppy and I kept thinking, "That could have been written better."

Laurel is shocked to find that something is growing from her back--a flower. They're not wings, but she's faerie, and that means that her whole world is changing. She has always been drawn to nature, but now that she's blossoming, it's an even stronger draw. With the help of David, a human she trusts, and Tamani, a faerie whom she learns to trust, she discovers her path. And, of course, the book leads into the sequel.

If you want fairies, I believe The Iron King or Extraordinary is the way to go. Evidently, I'm just not a fan of bestseller fairy literature, since I disliked the Wicked Lovely series, too.

No comments: