Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My Friend Dahmer by Derf Backderf

Well, this wasn't quite what I thought it was going to be.  I remember when the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer was caught and read everything I could about his story and background.  But, as I read this graphic novel written by someone who went to school with him, I couldn't help thinking that the author published it just to make money.  I didn't feel the story was that enlightening. Yes, Backderf did his research. He had to since he pretty much ignored Dahmer or teased him throughout school.  I never felt all that sorry for Dahmer--rather I found myself feeling sorry for the author and how he had to justify his bullying and exploitation of a kid who grew up to be a serial killer.

This has been compared to David Small's Stitiches (there's even an endorsement from Small on the book), but I just didn't see the comparison other than that it's a graphic novel and a memoir.

This book is a 2013 Alex Award Winner and I can see the teen appeal. I also understand how committees want to have a wide range of genres present on the list.  But I wouldn't have fought to keep this one on it.  I know, I know--I'm in the minority here because it won so many awards and has received praise from tons of people, including many of my friends.  But I just didn't see what the fuss was all about.

No comments: