Friday, September 1, 2017

Review: The Great American Whatever

The Great American Whatever The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I want to be Tim Federle's best friend and I could listen to him read his own stories for years. I was on the Odyssey committee when he won an honor for Five, Six, Seven, Nate! and I feel like this, his first young adult book, was the same kid just a bit grown up. Tim's fiction has a unique, sincere, gay kid voice that I love. And I love that now those little kids in his children's books are grown up enough to say fuck a lot in young adult novels now.

Quinn isn't coping well since he recently lost his only sister to a car accident. She was the director to his screenplays and his partner in everything. They had no secrets, right? And so now it's difficult to go to school or eat anything but pizza, or, you know, live. Told with humor and sadness, this novel is Quinn's road to living again, thanks to the help of friends. Adorable tale of first love, too, with the handsome older guy Amir, who may or may not be perfect for Quinn.

View all my reviews

No comments: