Thursday, August 31, 2017

Review: The Sisters Chase

The Sisters Chase The Sisters Chase by Sarah Healy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have a feeling I'll be thinking about this book a lot, because it's the kind of book with a main character you don't like. My first reaction is always to not like those books, but then I end up thinking about them more and changing my mind a bit, simply because I applaud books that make me think.

The main character, Mary, is the wild child--not wanting to stay and work at her mother's small motel, and not wanting to go to school. She's unhealthily focused on her younger sister--so much so that she skips school to take care of her. Diane, the mother, has now had two illegitimate children, and when she suddenly is out of the picture, Mary is forced to be like a mother to her younger sister Hannah.

Mary and Hannah grow no roots--they wander the country and Mary does things to make me hate her. Seriously, she's unscrupulous and kinda evil. She's beautiful, of course, so she can make men fall in love with her, and then she's just flat out evil to them.

This had the potential to be very teen friendly, but I always felt like Mary was an older woman in her thoughts and actions. It had its literary moments where I had to skim, and the expected plot twists that the reader had already guessed.

View all my reviews

No comments: