Monday, May 12, 2008

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult


This adult novel was published back in 1999, and I must say that I like Picoult's early novels better than her latest ones. Why? I'm not sure. But it seems like the books are better written.

Mariah is a mother who has quite a problem. Her daughter Faith is talking to God. And teaching her Bible verses. And making her bleed from her palms. What is going on? Mariah doesn't know. She is trying to deal with her husband's cheating and the divorce. And Mariah isn't known for her own mental stability. Seven years earlier, her husband placed her in a mental institution because she tried to commit suicide after finding out her husband was cheating. Now she is dealing with the cults and religious leaders camped out in her backyard. And the nation's leading television atheist is following Faith's deeds, too. Faith resurrects her grandmother after a heart attack. And Faith magically heals everyone in the hospital when she is in there. So what is going on? Is Faith really a prophet? Or is she trying to get attention during her parents' divorce? This novel really made me question my own beliefs about healers and miracles. What do I really believe? I'm not sure. And I think that is the point Picoult is trying to make.

No comments: