Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies by Lizabeth Zindel


Well, this one wins the cheesy award! I kept rolling my eyes at the dialogue between the rich girls and the parents and the teachers. Cheesy, cheesy, cheesy! I expected more from Paul Zindel's daughter. But, I guess if this is published for 5th graders, than it might be okay. But, with the main characters being high school seniors, I imagine that the target audience is high school and junior high students. I think PHS students would be bored with this book.

Maggie moves to NYC her senior year and her grandpa pays for her to attend an elite prep school. She's adopted into a secret society of 3 rich girls and learns their secrets. The girls eavesdrop and find out secrets about their friends, teachers, and parents. The secrets are written onto a wall in a Central Park townhouse and are usually used in minor cases of blackmail. Maggie is fascinated to be part of the rich crew, but finds out that the girls are shallow and mean. Duh. I mean, really, I've never read this kind of plot in a young adult chick lit book before!

I think you can tell I wasn't very entertained. The conversation about "social networking sites" was hilarious. And Maggie's mother acting all concerned about talking about their problems. It was very after-school special-ish. Ugh. Not my type of book!

No comments: