Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Opposite of Love by Julie Buxbaum, Read by Ariadne Meyers


It's the end of the school year and it's time for me to start frequenting the awesome Casey Public Library again! And I mean that. They do a wonderful job of weeding the old titles in their small space, and I love the selection of audiobooks. Just right to entertain me in my vehicle during the summer!

This adult novel intrigued me by the cover, but it almost needs a more chick lit-ish one. Emily Haxby is a power attorney, dealing with a boss who sexually harasses her, an important father who ignores her, and a boyfriend, who, well, seems perfect. So what does Emily do? She breaks up with Andrew when he starts showing signs of flashing an engagement ring. And thus continues Emily's self-destruction. With the help of best friends and a good therapist, Emily starts to turn her life around, but this book does a good job showing what the bottom of the depression pit is like. But don't think this is deep fiction. It's chick lit, plain and simple. But I enjoyed it. It's not fluffy! :)

No comments: