Friday, October 2, 2009

Crazy for the Storm: A Memoir of Survival by Norman Ollestad


Does the world need another mountaintop survival story? I'm not sure. It seems like there are four or five published every year, but I guess some people out there really love this genre. I have to admit that this one was a little better than most. I wasn't too thrilled with how alternating chapters told about the plane crash and the author's past. I wanted to just read the chapters about the plane crash, since that is really what I was interested in. But, hey, the kid's past is what helped him survive the day on the mountain. At age 11, Ollestad was already a great skier, surfer, skateboarder and hockey player. All those daredevil sports his dad made him do helped him have the tenacity to survive, even when his father didn't. And the writing was great--you can tell the author studied creative writing. The good writing made another mountain survival story bearable. I'm interested to see what book comes next from this author.

No comments: