Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lifted by Wendy Tolliver

Sometimes books are a joy to read, and this is one of those. Why? Probably because the reading level is kinda low, but also because it is really well written. I wasn't stopping my read to laugh about characterization or plot pacing or anything else. I read it for the plot, and there's nothing wrong with a plot-driven novel. Especially when it isn't trying to be anything else.

In my old age, I'd call this a problem novel because Poppy has a problem with shoplifting. She isn't sure why she does it, but she's good at it. It comes easy to her, especially when she learns the basics from her two new friends at her new Baptist school. But it's a novel about friendship, too. Making friends at a new school is rough, and Poppy makes some interesting choices with friends and boys.

I would have loved this book in 6th or 7th grade, and I think it'll be popular here at PCHS, too.

No comments: