Friday, September 2, 2011

The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy

I'm a big fan of Ally Carter's I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have to Kill You books, and I thought this book would be similar. And it was, but not as enjoyable.

Jess Parker has always moved around a lot and never fit in. When she settles down in her grandma's small Georgian town, she finds a boy to crush on and a mysterious note in her locker. Jess is invited to join The Cinderella Society, a secret organization of women who empower others to do good. (Don't roll your eyes, okay?) Jess finally has a support group of friends, but she still must work on raising her own self-esteem so the Wickeds don't bring her down. Add in the Villains and the Regulars, and you have all the high school cliques in one chick lit book.

I think my problem is the secret organization/spy/world-wide thing. It didn't work, but the chick lit part of the book really did. I know a sequel is already planned to come out soon, but I think the author would be more successful if she stuck with a Kieran Scott/Sarah Dessen/Ann Brashares type of book--leave the scifi/fantasy out!

No comments: