Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Geek Girl's Guide to Cheerleading by Charity Tahmaseb and Darcy Vance

I knew I was going to like this book. Why? Because I used to change after a scholastic bowl meet into a cheerleading uniform. My school was small enough that the  clique barriers were easier to break. Sure, I was still a straight-A geek who always had a book with her in class, but I also cheered. And we thought we were different and loved making fun of the cheer squads at camp and their darn spirit fingers.

Bethany and Moni are proud geek girls and end up daring themselves to try out for cheerleading.  They end up making the JV squad, and really are kind of hoping they become popular. As much as they deny it, they want to be part of the "in" crowd and date the popular athletes. But cheerleading takes a lot of time, and the two girls end up shirking the friendships of their fellow geeks.  Does the best basketball player really like Bethany? or is he just trying to win a bet with his best friend?

Best paragraph (page 222): (taken from an online chat between Bethany and Todd, her geeky friend who needs her help to run for class president)

Prez_Emerson: So, about tonight. We always have room for the prodigal daughter at Geek Night. We can watch Firefly *and* Serenity. If you want, I'll let you beat me at Scrabble. You can even play with my light saber.

No comments: