Monday, April 23, 2012

Chime by Franny Billingsley, Read by Susan Duerden

Yet another audiobook I didn't want to finish. I made it to Disk 3, and then started to look longingly to the other audiobooks in my basket in the passenger seat. And I moved on.

Why? Because of the annoying repetitiveness.  I liked Briony, the main character who is a witch. But, really, how many times do I need to be told that she can't let people know she's a witch because she doesn't want to hang? I felt like I was told that information about ten times. I also didn't like sentences were repeated with additional information at the end. Since this is audio, I can't go back and find what I mean, but here is an example of the type of writing that annoyed me....

I am a car.
I am a car that is red.
I am a car that is red that is parked in the south lot.

When I'm listening to a book in the car, this is really, really annoying because I can't skim it, like I would if I were reading it in the print version.

No comments: