Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Scowler by Daniel Kraus. Read by Kirby Heyborne

I was already listening to this freakishly scary audiobook when it won the Odyssey Award for best audiobook for children/teens! I *raved* about Daniel Kraus's Rotters when it won the 2012 Odyssey Award and it was no surprise to me that reader Heyborne and Kraus won another award.  There's something about a creepy tale being told well that just sends shivers down your spine.

I read Scowler in ARC form and reviewed it on Goodreads like this: "I  finished this days ago and I keep putting off blogging about it. Why? I prefer to not dredge up the ugliness of this book. And I mean ugly as in psychotherapy might be needed if I read it again.....  Nineteen-year-old Ry and his family are trying to recover from the nightmare that is his father. Marvin Burke is in prison for beating, abusing, and doing unspeakable things to his family members. Now the terror is back.  I don't want to give away any plot details (which had me reading this book late into the night), but let's just say that this book is gripping, scarier than hell, and perfect for teens/adults who want to be freaked out."

Well, I did listen to the book again, against my better judgment.  I assigned Scowler for my library school students to read in a class I'm teaching for Illinois State about library materials selection for young adults.  Why? Because it's literary, gross, and a book that some librarians won't pick up unless forced to. And so I'm forcing.  I also recommended that they listen to the book, even before it won the Odyssey.  This week we're going to listen to the clip that was played at the ALA Youth Media Awards ceremony (see http://live.webcastinc.com/ala/2014/live/ and skip to around the 46 minute mark). Listening in the car, I was SCARED of Marvin Burke.  His voice is scary. He says scary things. I don't want to hear his voice. At all.  And same goes for Scowler.  Those ticks and bug noises are just plain old horrific.

Ry Burke is 19 and lives on what's left of a farm with his mom and sister.  And, I feel like I can't say anything more without giving away some major plot surprises.  Let's just say that the book is literary psychological horror. It will give you shivers and make you re-read sections (at least I had to!) and make you talk about it. Just give it a listen.  You'll see why this book won.

No comments: