Saturday, February 21, 2015

The Big Tiny: a Built-It Myself Memoir by Dee Williams

The Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself MemoirThe Big Tiny: A Built-It-Myself Memoir by Dee Williams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Is it because I'm turning 40 this year? That's my thinking....

For some reason, I'm getting obsessed with tiny houses. I've always been slightly that way--there's a reason why I live in a home that's small by some people's standards. I don't like hoarding and I hate clutter--I get a thrill with every load I donate to Goodwill. So maybe the tiny house movement is a natural extension? I can't move to a tiny house yet--I know that. But the philosophy behind it is something I hope to apply for to my own life now. I have too much stuff that I don't need. And clutter in my house is clutter in my soul. Begone, stuff, begone!

Dee Williams' memoir is about what inspired her to build her own tiny house (that I will never do!). She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure at a young age, and the glimpse of the future was something that enabled her to get happy--fast. And so she simplified. And designed. And built. And relied on her good friends to help her and guide her and support her. It's a feel-good story about a woman's decision to minimize her footprint. I won't go as far as her---um, I love real toilets and showers, but I appreciate her willingness to take a chance.

I also watched the documentary Tiny: a Story about Living Small today and I highly recommend it! So many examples of cute houses and the people who live in them.

View all my reviews

No comments: