Sunday, January 17, 2016

Review: Lillian's Right to Vote: A Celebration of the Voting Rights Act of 1965

Lillian's Right to Vote: A Celebration of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 Lillian's Right to Vote: A Celebration of the Voting Rights Act of 1965 by Jonah Winter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Perfect read with my daughter for Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend. Thanks to the person who handed this to me at the ALA Conference last week! It's sad how much my 12-year-old daughter DOESN'T know about this part of our nation's history, so we had a long discussion about the 1960's and how the protests led to getting the right to vote for African-Americans. She was shocked with the depiction of a naked slave on the auction block because she didn't know that slaves were often auctioned off naked--another discussion opportunity for us. I'm going to donate this children's book to a local library--it needs to be circulating instead of sitting on our shelves!

View all my reviews

No comments: