Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Review: Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers

Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your Brain's Silent Killers by David Perlmutter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Huh. Well, I go into these types of books knowing that they only want to make money. And knowing that they only present the scientific studies that back up their opinion, and not the opposing ones. Librarians are also skeptics, thank you.

However, some of this does hit home to me. I've always been very allergic to trees, grasses, weeds, molds, dust mites, cats, dogs, horses, and fun things like corn pollen. Alcohol always makes my face flush, and my face flushes after eating something like a McDonald's Southwest salad. When I'm on an all HMR lactose-free shake diet, I don't have any of those symptoms, but when I start eating "regular food" the flushing occurs again. What's causing it? MSG? Gluten? High fructose corn syrup? lactose? I have no freaking idea.

So this book made me think about the whole elimination diet process. I may have to try it--simply to figure out what causes my face flushing. But, like almost every diet book out there today, this one says the same thing--eat simple food, the less processed the better.

View all my reviews

No comments: