Monday, August 27, 2018

Review: The Darkest Child

The Darkest Child The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Dang, this was a rough listen. I never read this back in the day, so I was happy to see a new audio version, narrated by THE Bahni Turpin. She also narrated The Hate U Give, and, at first, I kept hearing that book and character's voice.

But, dang, Tangy Mae will grab hold of your heart. She's the young narrator, and her family is full of siblings, and a mother that you will want to kill. Seriously. Bad enough that it's 1950s Georgia and Jim Crow is present. But, whew, that mother. You'll see what I mean.

Give this a listen. So sad that this was the first and only book written by Delores Phillips--she's wonderful. This audio does give you a teaser of a rough draft sequel that Phillips was writing, but I almost wish it weren't included. I wanted to write my own future for Tangy.


View all my reviews

No comments: