Thursday, March 28, 2019

Review: My Papi Has a Motorcycle

My Papi Has a Motorcycle My Papi Has a Motorcycle by Isabel Quintero
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Uncorrected proof generously provided by the publisher. To be published in May 2019.

Quintero, author of the AMAZING Gabi, a Girl in Pieces, lovingly describes her town of Corona, California, as readers see it flash by from the back of her dad's motorcycle. Most readers won't know it's Corona or California until the author's note at the end. Loved how she included plenty of Spanish words, but the illustrations help with the translations for the readers who only know English. The occasional poetic sentence is thrown in, which didn't always work for me.

I LOVED the illustrations by Zeke Pena--beige pages with muted colors really drew my eye, although there is one page where a young girl looks like she's running with her knee two inches off the ground. I'm hoping that's just a weird thing going on with where the book page was cut off in this uncorrected proof.

View all my reviews

No comments: