Friday, October 22, 2021

Review: The Scotch-Irish: A Social History

The Scotch-Irish: A Social History The Scotch-Irish: A Social History by James Graham Leyburn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read more of this than I thought I would! Originally written in 1962, it's a bit dry in parts and jumps to a lot of conclusions in others. But I appreciated learning about how people lived in the Lowlands of Scotland and why they jumped at the chance to move to Ireland. Then, after a few generations, they abandoned Ireland and took a chance in the Americas. I have some ancestors in the groups that settled in North Carolina and Pennsylvania, and now I wonder if they were indentured servants? I wish I knew and could find out! I can't wait to retire and track down the life stories of some of these folks.

View all my reviews

No comments: