Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Fault in our Stars by John Green

Most of you know I'm a huge John Green fan. I've got quite the literary crush on the happily married man. I loved his Will Grayson, Will Grayson that he co-wrote with David Levithan. He started his literary greatness with Looking for Alaska, and continued it with An Abundance of Katherines and Paper Towns. But what I love about his newest book is that I'm proud because it seems like John Green is all grown up. :) Paper Towns was very similar to Looking for Alaska and I was afraid his books were starting to all be very similar.  The Fault in our Stars proves that John Green is one heck of a writer and has mastered the tearjerker better than Lurlene McDaniel.

Mr. Green handles a female narrator with grace, although I felt it struggled at the beginning of the novel.  He continues his streak of quirky characters with Hazel and Gus, two teenagers suffering from cancer. There's philosophy, religion, death, bliss, love, tears, laughter, great dialogue, and a trip to Amsterdam to see a drunk author.  I'm glad Green's doubters will have to eat their words now.  And I can't wait to eat lunch with him in Dallas Sunday!

No comments: