Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle


I'm so glad I listened to the audio version of this adult novel. Lily Rabe, the reader, was wonderful, and I swear I've listened to her read something else.

Alice Winston is a young girl who has grown up alone on her family's horse ranch. Her mother is depressed and never leaves her bedroom, but the family doesn't talk about it. Her father works in the barn and they never discuss why Alice's older sister ran off and got married the year before. But then things change. Alice falls in love with someone she isn't supposed to. Alice's father falls in love, too, and it isn't with his wife. And then Alice's sister and her husband come back to the ranch to live. This dysfunctional family weaves an intriguing tale and I must admit that I had tears in my eyes at the end.

No comments: