Monday, October 24, 2016

Review: The Glittering Court

The Glittering Court The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I haven't listened to more "mainstream" YA titles in awhile, so I thought I would give this historical fantasy a try. I knew this was a title that some teens love and some adults hate, and I see why. It's a little like The Selection and over the top--girls are picked off the country-like-British street and "taught" to be ladies. Then, after traveling to Adoria (um, America), they are married/sold off to men who need ladies to help them become gentlemen in their new land. No mention of the words "slave trafficking" but I was sure thinking of it as I listened. Adelaide, the main character makes the reverse decision--she quits being a countess and runs off to make her own choices, and ends up being the poor church mouse who works in a mine to help her common husband pay off her bride-price. All very Harlequin-ish, which is what some people love, I know.

The narrator MADE this audiobook, and she is why I kept listening. Loved her accents, and the clean production. Kristen Sieh is a narrator I'll be looking for again.

View all my reviews

No comments: