Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Review: Wolf Hollow

Wolf Hollow Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a literary children's book that seemed like it was written for adults. I'm not the best reader of middle grade fiction--I don't work with that age, and I grew up reading Christopher Pike when I was in middle school. And, honestly, I understand why. Do kids like this book? It seems like something that teachers will want to add to the curriculum--another historical fiction book so students can learn about "back then," as well as some tragedy to make the kids cry. (Can you tell that my junior high reading class read Bridge to Terabithia AND Where the Red Fern Grows?) There are a lot of vocabulary words to pick out for lessons and symbolism galore.

I listened to the audio, which was lovely. Odyssey, anyone? But there were times that I wanted the plot to pick up speed, and I can't imagine many twelve-year-olds having more patience than me.

View all my reviews

No comments: