Monday, September 24, 2018

Review: Brief Chronicle of Another Stupid Heartbreak

Brief Chronicle of Another Stupid Heartbreak Brief Chronicle of Another Stupid Heartbreak by Adi Alsaid
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What a frustrating and realistic teen romance! Lu is a high school senior who is paid to write about love, except she is nowhere close to an expert about it. She obsesses with guys and then ends up making mistakes. The typical writer, she observes everything, but she crosses over into gross territory quite a bit by eavesdropping and butting into people's lives while ignoring others. I cringed a lot while reading this--but that may have been the adult in me.

Unfortunately, this is another love story to New York City (you can tell that publishers/editors live there), and setting plays a fairly big part in the novel.

There were some memorable one liners, but I felt myself saying, "Just write the dang column, Lu." Lu is a selfish girl--she takes her friendships for granted, but then when she needs them, she NEEDS them. Her idolizing the relationship of Cal and Iris seems to fit her personality perfectly, as well as the mistakes she makes.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other people think about this one. I think it will be picked up--great title and cover, and readers will want to know what ends up happening to Lu. If anything, this book shows that love is always around--those teen relationships might seem like forever, but there is always someone else who is interesting. :)

View all my reviews

No comments: