Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Review: Don't Skip Out on Me

Don't Skip Out on Me Don't Skip Out on Me by Willy Vlautin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What the hell, Vlautin?

That's the reaction you'll have when you get to the end of this one. I tagged it Western, but that's more of the overall feel of the novel, even though there is a sheep ranch involved. Young Horace Hooper is a boxer--he's dead set on training and being seen as a Mexican boxer (even calls himself Hector Hidalgo), even though he is half-Paiute. He's decent because he hits hard and doesn't give up, but his doggedness isn't a good thing when it comes to his mental and physical well-being. Meanwhile old Mr. Reese, the rancher with a bad back, is hoping Horace will give up his dream of being a boxer and just come back to his adoptive home, take over the ranch, and be loved. Lots of redemption, forgiveness, and love in this little book. I loved it.

And thanks to BJ Barham, lead singer of American Aquarium, for mentioning that he was reading Willy Vlautin. I've had this book on my shelf for a year, and that interview made me pick it up and start reading.

View all my reviews

No comments: