Friday, August 23, 2019

Review: The Home for Unwanted Girls

The Home for Unwanted Girls The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I'm stressed, I read historical fiction, so I found this ARC on my shelf from last year. Maggie is half-French and half-English and lives in rural Quebec, but she's never felt at home anywhere other than her dad's seed store. When she falls in love with a French boy, her father disapproves, and she is sent away to break up the romance. But, a baby interferes. At 15, Maggie is pretty well forced to give up the baby, as it was done in those times, and poor Elodie is stuck in the horrible child trafficking Catholic/Jewish Quebec nightmare. It's one of those feel-good novels, so everything works out, but I never quite connected with the writing or the characters. Fast, easy read though.

View all my reviews

No comments: