Thursday, November 7, 2019

Review: Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir

Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I've never heard of this woman, and have never read Gourmet magazine, so I'm not exactly the audience for this memoir. That said, I did like this more than I thought I would, because, like another food memoir I read recently, it is about failure. It's easy to see how Gourmet failed though--not just for being a print magazine, but for targeting rich foodies and spending so much money on unnecessary splurges for their employees. I used to think National Geographic Traveler was unrealistic when I read it because everything was too expensive for this Midwesterner. I can't imagine what Gourmet was like. However, I enjoyed getting to know Ruth Reichl, her experiences during 9/11, and her experience as being a parent who works.

View all my reviews

No comments: