Friday, April 30, 2021

Review: Pickard County Atlas

Pickard County Atlas Pickard County Atlas by Chris Harding Thornton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a bit too noir and not enough mystery and suspense for me. The atmosphere is spot on--I felt the desolate Nebraska prairie and the loneliness of Harley, the local policeman. I had to re-read a lot of paragraphs last night to understand the ending--the Reddick's knew WHAT about the death of their seven-year-old son? The brother knew WHAT about his brother? And then add in the confused Pam who married too young and had a daughter she doesn't love all that much. It's a hot mess of a family in this novel, and lots of unspoken truths are bandied about. So I didn't love it, but I liked it--the smoldering atmosphere was intense and I had to know what happened when it all blew up.

View all my reviews

No comments: