Saturday, January 7, 2017

Review: Girl Mans Up

Girl Mans Up Girl Mans Up by M-E Girard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Thank you, Morris committee, for bringing this book to my attention! This is one that all libraries should have in their teen collection, and, honestly, I'm surprised I haven't read more like it. Love that the author thanks Michael Cart, Malinda Lo, and even names the high school in the book after Julie Anne Peters.

Pen Oliveira (don't call her Penelope) dresses like a dude, but she's a girl, and she likes girls, and she's okay with that. It's everyone else, especially her parents, who seems to have an issue with her not acting like a "real" girl. In her Canadian Catholic school, she's an oddity, but luckily her older brother always has her back. Part of Pen's coming-of-age is discovering who her real friends are, and that can be a very tough difficult decision. I appreciated all the "man up" and "getting some balls" references throughout the text. This will get you thinking about gender, and that's a good thing!

View all my reviews

No comments: