Monday, February 19, 2018

Review: A Different Pond

A Different Pond A Different Pond by Bao Phi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sometimes Americans fish in the early mornings in ponds because they need to bring the fish home to their family. That's the case in this children's book about Vietnamese-Americans struggling to make ends meet. The father is working two jobs, and the little boy tags along to help. Love the illustrations and the dropped hints--fish sauce, the war, and how mom looks tired.

Part of me wanted this to be a graphic novel--it was so close except for the typed words. Add in some word bubbles (can you tell I don't know much about being an author) and a few more panels and I think this would have been an even stronger book for children.

And, yep, I could tell it was the same artist who created the lovely The Best We Could Do.

View all my reviews

No comments: