Thursday, February 15, 2018

Review: Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon Grand Canyon by Jason Chin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read a children's nonfiction book like this and think, wow, most of my science teachers sucked growing up. I learned more about ecology and geology fin this grade school level book than I did in years in grade school. The picture book section is perfect for younger grade school readers, but the extensive backmatter section can reach kids up to junior high. Or, um, adult. I loved learning about the different layers of rock in the Canyon, as well as the paper cutouts on some of the pages. Loved how the Asian-American author included an Asian-American dad and daughter to hike through the canyon, too.

Caldecott honor (awesome, detailed illustrations) and Sibert honor, which means it's a kickass nonfiction picture book that should be in ALL grade school libraries.

View all my reviews

No comments: