Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Review: The Universe Is Expanding and So Am I

The Universe Is Expanding and So Am I The Universe Is Expanding and So Am I by Carolyn Mackler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I read The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things when I was a beginning teacher and I remember pushing it on teens like crazy. That was 15 freaking years ago and I didn't think I'd remember anything about that book, but reading this sequel brought some of it. Mackler is just darn good about teen voice and capturing those moments.

"Three dots. Three dots. Three dots."

Oh, the impatience of texting. (Not much social media in this novel--still blogging and texting). Virginia is still having boy problems and dealing with her self-esteem and weight issues. Food is mentioned like crazy in this novel, as well as exercise, since Virginia has been raised by her fat-shaming parents. Strange how this book fits right in with #metoo and the dilemma of hating the crime while still loving the criminal.

This is one sequel I was happy to read.

View all my reviews

No comments: