Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Review: All the Bad Apples

All the Bad Apples All the Bad Apples by Moïra Fowley-Doyle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm a sucker for magical realism and books set in Ireland, so this is a win-win for me! Chapters switch back and forth between Deena's contemporary life (well, 2012, which is contemporary enough), and various years in her family history. Her family seems to be cursed with women who are "bad apples" and she is determined to break the curse with the help of her two older sisters. Lots of unreliable narration and twists and turns. And banshees! Road trips, mysteries, a healthy dose of feminism, women's rights, and trying to separate Church and schools in Ireland--a lot packed into this little book, but I loved it. And her The Accident Season.

View all my reviews

No comments: