Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Review: Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday

Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday by Natalie C. Anderson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Tons of action--this reads like a spy movie, with a teen Somalian boy as the main character. Abdi has been coerced into infiltrating a Somalian gang's crew so that he can pass information to the Americans. Plenty of blurred lines about who is "good" and "evil" in this novel, which is probably (?) what it is like in the war-torn African countries. Will teens stick with the back-and-forth chapters? (I know had teens who hated those.) Or will the length scare them? If not, I think they will enjoy this roller coaster of a ride.

The author is writing outside her comfort zone (she's never been to Mogadishu, Somalia), so I'm glad she admits that in her author's note. But I won't fault an author for writing outside of her world--that's how many stories get told. And she has worked with refugees for years, so this books makes sense.

View all my reviews

No comments: