Thursday, April 25, 2019

Review: The Editor

The Editor The Editor by Steven Rowley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I enjoyed this listen more than I thought I would, thanks to the excellent narration. I really am not obsessed with the Kennedys, so that part of this novel didn't attract me.

David Smale finally "makes it" when his book is purchased by Doubleday. And who is his editor? Jackie Kennedy Onassis. He's ecstatic, even when Jackie pushes him to talk to his family more to change the ending of his (darn autobiographical) novel. It does seem like the two have a good author-publisher relationship. The respect is there and she really does get a better book out of him. Or I guess she does, since, this, too, is a novel and not a true story.

The narrator reminded me of Tim Federle's narration of his own YA books (that's a good thing) and he created very distinct voices for all the characters. Funny, sad, and full of tender family/gay relationship moments.

View all my reviews

No comments: