Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Review: Roses of May

Roses of May Roses of May by Dot Hutchison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Definitely read Book 1 first, The Butterfly Garden. Even after reading it awhile ago, I was a bit lost with this one--I couldn't figure out if the serial killer from Book 1 was somehow related to the killings happening in Book 2? Eventually I figured it out.

This author has a unique voice--almost casual. It works perfectly from the POV of Priya, a teenager whose sister has been murdered. Years after Chavi's death, Priya is receiving flowers from either a mentally ill admirer or the serial killer who killed her sister. The flowers Priya receives match the ones found on the bodies of the dead women--yuck.

The relationship between the FBI investigators and the victims of these crimes seems a bit off to me--I doubt if these relationships are maintained in the way they are in the book? I understand that trauma affects relationships oddly, but I did wonder about the texts/emails the agents exchanged with the young victims in these novels. There's nothing creepy about them, trust me, but it just seems like the agents wouldn't let themselves get close.

View all my reviews

No comments: