Thursday, May 2, 2019

Review: The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Trigger warning - NYC on Sept. 11

What a freaking heart-jerker of a novel! I always hate books with librarians as characters (I usually feel like there's some pandering to an audience in them), but I fell in love with awkward Annika. She's a student at the University of Illinois when she meets Jonathan at chess club. She's definately on the spectrum, and a difficult woman to get to know, let alone love. The two of them part ways and find each other again years later on the streets of Chicago.

You really root for these two young people and hope that they figure out our their relationship and find happiness with each other. I laughed AND cried while listening to this audio, which doesn't happen often for me. It just seems like such a real story of anxiety and love and autism. I loved it.

The two narrators fit the characters perfectly, and even when they voiced each other, it sounded realistic.

View all my reviews

No comments: